Saturday, March 26, 2011

iTunes doesn't play with Microsoft Keyboard


It's Saturday afternoon and I'm sitting at my keyboard reading away while iTunes plays into my headphones when my Son walks up to me and asks me something.  

So I hit the Play/Pause key across the top of my Microsoft Wired 600 Keyboard (my favorite keyboard). 

Nothing happens !! That's odd. Isn't this the sole purpose of this key, it's one and only task is to simply Play or Pause and for some reason it cannot even get this right.

Well after a little playing around I find that the Play/Pause key will correctly interact with iTunes only if iTunes is not minimized.

Surely we can get something as simple as a Play/Pause key to do what it's supposed to do.

After a little research I find that I'm not the only person to have pondered this particular oddity and I end up finding this little gem as a solution.

Download this small iTunes plugin file from this location
http://www.everythingitunes.com/os/windows/2008-01-04/mmkeysdll

Now simply copy this file to your iTunes plugin folder, for me this was located in
C:\Users\Nigel\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\iTunes\iTunes Plug-ins






Once you've copied the file, close and then reopen iTunes and that's it you're done the Play/Pause key should now do exactly what's it's designed to do Play and Pause.

Now what was it that my Son asked me ?


1 comment: